Savannah Fatal Car Accident Attorneys
Fatal car accidents can present a serious financial and emotional burden on the surviving family members. When someone dies tragically due to the negligence of another, the burden is even greater. These tragedies occur unexpectedly and leave a family with numerous expenses and a potential loss in income. If you recently lost a loved one in a fatal accident, you need experienced legal representation. Contact the Savannah car crash lawyers at Butler Prather LLP at (706) 322-1990 to schedule a free initial consultation.
We offer compassionate service and years of experience to Savannah families dealing with the consequences of a fatal accident in Georgia. We’ve earned the trust of our clients in many ways:
- We have a proven record of success, securing several settlements in excess of $100 million. We’re also responsible for the largest collected judgment in the United States.
- We have 30 years of experience as a firm, and we’ve represented clients in over 30 states across the country.
- We offer our services on a contingency-fee basis, which means you won’t owe any attorney’s fees unless we win your case.
Causes of Fatal Car Accidents
Unfortunately, fatal accidents are common in Georgia. According to the Georgia Department of Transportation, over 1,500 people died in the state in fatal car accidents in 2017. Though these accidents can occur in any number of scenarios, some are more statistically likely than others. Some of the leading causes of fatal car accidents include:
- Speeding. Collisions that occur at high speeds are much more likely to result in serious injury and death, due to the sheer force of the crash involved.
- Failure to stay in a designated lane. In many states, the leading cause of fatality is failing to stay within a driver’s lane, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The head-on collisions that result are more likely to occur at high speeds and prove deadly.
- Drunk driving. Georgia has a lower incidence of drunk driving than the national average, and the penalties for operating under the influence are steep. Still, it is one of the leading causes of fatality, particularly in rural areas where drivers may not have access to cabs or rideshares.
Damages You Can Recover
Fatal accidents can lead to serious damages. Often, the family of a fatal accident victim struggles financially and emotionally following a car accident. A Savannah fatal car accident claim seeks to compensate the surviving family members for the tangible and intangible losses associated with an accident. Examples of these damages include:
- Compensation for economic losses. The surviving family members can receive reimbursement for the material expenses associated with their loss. Examples include lost wages or any loss in familial income, the costs associated with final medical expenses, compensation for funeral and burial costs, and more.
- General damages. Separate from economic losses, general damages seek to compensate the surviving family members for the intangible costs associated with an accident. Examples include emotional anguish, loss of partnership and guidance, suffering, and others.
- Punitive damages. In some cases, such as accidents arising from gross negligence, punitive damages may be available. These intend to punish the defendant for wrongdoing and discourage similar behavior in the future.
Why You Need a Savannah Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
Fatal accidents can take more than just an emotional toll. Unfortunately, some insurance companies will take advantage of families during this vulnerable time and attempt to settle an insurance claim for less than your family needs to move forward. A Savannah wrongful death attorney from Butler Prather LLP can negotiate for a fair settlement or judgment for your family’s fatal accident claim. We hold insurance companies and negligent parties accountable and won’t settle for less than what you deserve. To learn more about your family’s legal options today, contact us at (706) 322-1990 to schedule a free initial consultation with our firm.