Atlanta Hurricane Damage Insurance Claim Attorneys
Anyone living in a state along the Atlantic Coast runs the risk of sustaining hurricane damage. There is no way to predict from year to year where a major hurricane could hit, and there are times when storm damage affects areas far inland, including the Atlanta area. At Butler Prather LLP, we are here to help if you need an Atlanta hurricane damage insurance claim attorney by your side. We understand how complicated these claims can be, and we want to make sure that you are treated fairly every step of the way after you make your claim.
Why Choose Butler Prather LLP for Your Atlanta Hurricane Damage Claim Assistance?
At Butler Prather LLP, we understand the devastation that hurricanes can bring throughout the state of Georgia, and we know what it takes to help individuals get through this.
- Our Atlanta accident team has extensive experience handling complex insurance claims, and we know how to negotiate in order to recover the compensation you need.
- We always put the client first, which means you will remain in communication with your attorney and receive any updates as your case moves forward.
- We have been helping clients in Atlanta and throughout Georgia since 1988, and we have established a track record of securing major settlements and jury verdicts on behalf of our clients.
Why is an Attorney Necessary for an Atlanta, GA Hurricane Damage Insurance Claim?
Insurance claims after a hurricane should be straightforward, but they often are not. It is not uncommon for these insurance carriers to push back from having to pay out fair compensation. They will work diligently to find any exceptions within your policy that could result in them paying less compensation, often to the detriment of your finances.
When you have a skilled Atlanta, GA hurricane damage claim lawyer, you will have an advocate ready to handle every aspect of your claim. This includes investigating the incident, ensuring an expert evaluates the property damage, combing through your policy, and handling all communication with other parties.
Types of Property Damage Covered After a Hurricane
Most homeowners’ insurance policies cover a wide range of damage that can occur in a devastating storm. For example, the most common types of hurricane damage typically covered under a policy include damage caused by:
- Strong winds and debris
- Water or moisture-related damage (usually not flood protection)
- Downed power lines
- Downed trees
- Limited automobile-related incidents
- Damage to belongings inside or near the home (appliances, electronics, jewelry, furniture, recreational vehicles, etc.)
- Damage to features of the home (windows, doors, gutters, etc.)
We strongly encourage anyone, regardless of where they live in the state, to remember that hurricanes can affect you. For example, in 2017, Hurricane Irma made landfall in Florida but entered Georgia as a tropical storm with a large wind field. The winds lasted for several hours across the state and resulted in extensive property damage throughout the Atlanta area.
What About Flooding?
Obtaining flood insurance can be challenging, particularly for homes along the coastline. Most policies do not cover flood insurance. Often, homeowners must purchase an additional flood policy in order to receive coverage. We encourage you to review your current policy and speak to a skilled Atlanta attorney to determine whether or not you need flood insurance for your particular situation.
Addressing Atlanta Property Insurance Claims Issues
At Butler Prather LLP, our experienced attorneys understand the tactics that insurance carriers will use to prevent paying full compensation for hurricane damage. You can:
- Update homeowners’ insurance policies. If you purchase a new home, upgrade your home, add to the garage, or add new features to the home, you need to consider renewing your homeowners’ insurance policy to account for these changes.
- Prepare for potential damage. It is always a good idea to prepare your home and the outside of your home for any storm to mitigate damages. This can include using boards on the windows or doors, securing various features like your gutters, playing tarps over holes or damaged areas to prevent water intake, and moving valuables to a safer location. Preparing for damage properly could help prevent some damage that may have otherwise occurred during a storm.
- Maintain record keeping. We encourage you to keep an itemized list of valuables on your property. This includes receipts from purchases as well as up-to-date pictures or video walkthroughs of the property. We also encourage homeowners to keep all legal, financial, and insurance documents in a secure location. There are various reasonably priced water and fireproof safes on the market that could be a good fit for storage.
- Take photos and video surveillance. Most individuals have smartphones now, and we encourage you to take advantage of the phone’s photograph and video capability. Use the phone to document any damage that may have occurred during the course of a storm, as well as any efforts to remedy the damage temporarily.
We encourage you to reach out to your insurance carrier as soon as possible after a major storm comes through and causes damage. Start the claims process promptly, but do not hesitate to reach out to a skilled hurricane damage lawyer in Atlanta. When you have an attorney by your side, you will have an advocate ready to step in if the insurance carrier decides to treat you unfairly.
Call an Atlanta Hurricane Damage Insurance Claim Attorney
If you or somebody you care about has sustained hurricane damage in or around the Atlanta area but are struggling to recover the compensation you need from your insurance carrier, contact Butler Prather LLP for assistance as soon as possible. We understand the complexities involved with filing hurricane damage insurance claims, and we want to make sure that you are treated fairly. Let our Atlanta hurricane damage claims lawyer help you through this. You can contact us for a free consultation of your claim by calling (800) 242-2962.