Georgia Intersection Accident Lawyers
Were You Injured in a Georgia Intersection Accident That Wasn’t Your Fault?
Georgia’s robust economy continues to attract new residents. In just over a decade, the state’s population has grown by more than a million people. More people means more traffic, and Georgia has some of the busiest roads and highways in the country. Intersections are the most dangerous places on the road. High-risk intersections in Georgia include Windsor Spring Rd & Tobacco Rd in Augusta, Memorial Dr & North Hairston Rd in Stone Mountain, and Covington Hwy & Lithonia Industrial Blvd in Lithonia.
Intersection accidents can cause devastating injuries. Victims may be permanently disabled or experience intense chronic pain that prevents them from ever returning to work. After the accident, you may be unable to enjoy many of your favorite activities. According to the US Department of Transportation, almost one-quarter of car accident fatalities and about half of car accident injuries occur at or near intersections. That’s why it’s so important for everyone to obey the speed limit and remain alert when approaching an intersection.
For over 35 years, Butler Prather LLP has been getting justice for people in Georgia who have been injured in senseless automobile crashes. Our experienced trial attorneys have won settlements and verdicts for clients in over 30 states. We’ve won nine verdicts that exceed $100 million and over 60 verdicts and settlements of over $10 million. Our partners have been recognized by the independent law firm rating agency Super Lawyers for providing our clients with outstanding service.
Call (706) 322-1990 to schedule a complimentary consultation today.
Intersection Accidents Caused by Careless Drivers
An intersection is a junction where two or more roads cross or meet. Intersections vary in size. There are large intersections where multi-lane roads cross each other, smaller intersections controlled by stop signs, and uncontrolled intersections in rural areas that don’t have traffic signs.
It’s important to proceed with care when approaching an intersection. Careless drivers who don’t take the necessary precautions are a major cause of intersection accidents. Some examples of negligent behavior include:
- Running a red light is a serious traffic infraction that catches other drivers completely off-guard, leading to devastating collisions.
- Distracted driving. Even though Georgia has a mandatory hands-free law prohibiting the use of handheld devices, a lot of people are still looking at their cell phones while driving. It’s crucial to have your full attention on the road at all times, especially when approaching an intersection.
- Speeding is never a good idea, but the risks of going too fast are compounded at intersections where cross traffic, pedestrians, and cyclists may all be present. Speeding drivers don’t allow themselves enough time to make good decisions, and this can have catastrophic consequences.
- Tailgating. When drivers don’t allow a large enough cushion between themselves and the vehicles in front of them, they won’t have ample time to react to stops.
- DUI. Alcohol impairs several functions that are essential for safely driving across an intersection, including vision, coordination, depth perception, and reaction time.
- Fatigued driving. Drivers who cover long distances are vulnerable to exhaustion, and this diminishes a person’s ability to remain alert and make good decisions.
- Ignoring crosswalks. Drivers will often creep into crosswalks as they prepare to make a right turn, or they may ignore crosswalks altogether, infringing on a pedestrian’s space and threatening their safety.
Intersection Accidents Caused by Roadway Problems
Many intersection control systems in Georgia are badly designed and poorly maintained. Intersections that handle a large amount of traffic should have traffic lights instead of stop signs. Installing dedicated left-turn lights will reduce the number of left-turn crashes, which is the largest cause of harmful intersection crashes.
Public officials must provide enough funding for regular maintenance to replace failing traffic lights, repair signs, and eliminate overgrowth that obscures signs and prevents drivers from having a clear view of an intersection. Factors that contribute to unsafe intersections include:
- Faulty design
- Limited visibility
- Malfunctioning traffic lights
- Missing or obscured signs
- Inadequate lane markings
Types of Intersection Accidents
There are several things happening at once when a driver crosses an intersection, and everyone must remain aware of threats approaching from various directions. Another difficulty many drivers have is estimating the speed of vehicles approaching from the opposite direction, especially when drivers are speeding.
Frequent intersection accidents include:
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end crashes
- T-bone collisions
- Left-turn accidents
- Crashes involving cyclists and pedestrians
Injuries Caused by Intersection Crashes
Many types of vehicles come together at intersections, including cars, big rig trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, delivery vans, and SUVs. Vehicles that have a larger mass cause more damage when a collision occurs. Cyclists, pedestrians, and motorcycle riders don’t have the same level of protection as drivers and passengers who are traveling inside vehicles that are equipped with seat belts, airbags, and reinforced cabins.
The following types of serious injuries can occur in intersection accidents:
- Head trauma
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Soft tissue damage
- Nerve damage
- Organ failure
- Severe burns
How Your Georgia Intersection Accident Attorney Can Help
Intersection accidents can be complicated. Butler Prather LLP will conduct a thorough investigation by collecting police reports, surveillance camera footage, accident scene photos, and other evidence to get a clear picture of what happened. Our investigators will also interview witnesses, consult with experts, and create digital simulations to break down the events that caused the accident in a way that a jury will understand.
In addition to careless drivers, other parties may share liability for your injuries. Butler Prather LLP will file a claim or a lawsuit against anyone whose negligent actions played a role in causing your injuries. For example, trucking and delivery companies often commit negligent hiring when they hire employees with poor driving records.
An intersection accident injury claim may include the following damages:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Medical devices
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of earning potential
- Mental anguish
- In-home nursing care
- Reduced quality of life
- Wheelchair ramps for your home
- Wrongful death
We’ve Won Over a Billion Dollars for Our Clients
At Butler Prather LLP, our Georgia car accident lawyers understand how important your case is. Your recovery is our top priority, and you can count on us to deliver the legal support, guidance, and solutions you need.
Call us at (706) 322-1990 to learn more today with a free consultation.