Columbus Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Columbus, GA, Who Fight to Win
There are a lot of good reasons to ride a motorcycle. It costs a lot less than a car to own and operate, and motorcycles are much easier to park. Riding a motorcycle is really fun and allows you to appreciate the great outdoors. In the Columbus area, riders like to get outside and enjoy the scenic views at Flat Rock Park, Chattahoochee Riverwalk, and Uchee Creek Marina.
The overwhelming majority of motorcycle riders are good citizens who take precautions and follow local traffic laws. In fact, most accidents involving motorcycles are caused by careless drivers who disobey the rules or fail to look out for motorcycle riders.
If you suffered catastrophic injuries due to a motorcycle accident, you may be facing significant medical expenses and other costs such as rehabilitation and time missed from work. It’s important to find a personal injury attorney who will fight to get you a settlement that covers the true cost of your injuries.
For over 35 years, the personal injury lawyers at Butler Prather LLP have been helping accident victims in Columbus, Georgia, and across the nation. We understand the unique challenges riders face after being harmed in a collision.
Our skilled litigators have won over a billion dollars in settlements and verdicts for clients in over 30 states. We’ve won nine verdicts exceeding $100 million and over 60 verdicts and settlements of over $10 million.
Call (706) 322-1990 to schedule a complimentary consultation today.
What Causes Motorcycle Accidents?
According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), the fatality rate per mile traveled is almost 24 times higher for motorcycle rides than for passenger vehicle occupants.
Even when it isn’t your fault, the motorcycle rider usually bears the brunt of the harm that results from an accident. Unlike people traveling inside a passenger vehicle, a motorcyclist doesn’t have a reinforced cabin with seatbelts and airbags for protection.
Frequent causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Unsafe turns. When a driver making a turn fails to notice a motorcycle, the rider is completely vulnerable. Careless left turns are particularly hazardous, often resulting in severe injuries for unsuspecting motorcyclists.
- DUI. Alcohol and controlled substances blunt the driver’s reflexes, impairing their vision, judgment, reaction time, and coordination. People who are under the influence have absolutely no business operating a motor vehicle.
- Ignoring traffic laws. Drivers who run stop signs and red lights or make illegal maneuvers, such as crossing a double line to pass, put the lives of motorcycle riders and everyone else on the road at risk.
- Road hazards such as potholes, drop-offs, poorly graded pavement, debris that falls off trucks, and equipment left behind by work crews all pose a serious risk to motorcyclists.
- Unsafe lane changes. Drivers must signal in advance and check to make sure the lane is empty to prevent dangerous accidents.
- Speeding drastically reduces a driver’s reaction time, and when a crash occurs, severe injuries and fatalities are much more likely to occur.
- Tailgating. Every driver has a responsibility to provide a safe cushion in front of their vehicle to prevent rear-end crashes.
- Unsafe weather conditions. When driving in snowy, foggy, rainy, or icy conditions, drivers are required to slow down to a safe speed.
- Distracted driving. An instant of driver inattention may have fatal consequences for a motorcycle rider. Distracted driving has been on the rise, and that’s why law enforcement officials in Georgia are aggressively enforcing the state’s ban on using handheld devices while driving. Drivers who are texting, emailing, or checking their social media should be watching the road instead.
- Mechanical failure caused by design defects or lack of proper maintenance is especially hazardous when it causes a vehicle’s brakes, tires, safety lights, or fuel system to malfunction.
How Your Columbus Motorcycle Accident Attorney Can Help
Getting struck by a careless car or truck driver when you’re out riding your bike is a devastating experience. It’s important to have a legal representative by your side who understands what you are going through and knows how to help make things better.
The Georgia motorcycle accident lawyers at Butler Prather LLP will investigate the accident by reviewing the police report, interviewing witnesses, and collecting evidence from the accident scene. We also call upon traffic engineers and other expert witnesses to reconstruct the events that caused your injuries.
When our investigation is complete, the personal injury attorneys at Butler Prather LLP will file a claim or a lawsuit against anyone whose negligent behavior contributed to your injuries. This may include:
- Careless drivers
- Manufacturers of defective equipment
- Contractors and public officials responsible for maintaining safe roads
- Trucking and delivery companies that hire unsafe drivers
- Mechanics who failed to make necessary repairs
- Bars, servers, and restaurants that served underage patrons or over-served those who were clearly intoxicated
Damages Available After a Columbus Motorcycle Accident
Following a motorcycle accident, you may be facing debilitating injuries. You may also be suffering from chronic pain that prevents you from returning to work or resuming the lifestyle you enjoyed before the accident.
When the trial attorneys at Butler Prather LLP file a lawsuit for injuries resulting from a Columbus motorcycle accident, we seek the following types of damages for our clients:
- Lost wages
- Medical devices
- Current and future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced earning capacity
- Diminished quality of life
- Occupational therapy
- Wheelchair ramps for your home
- Wrongful death
Severe Injuries Caused by Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents frequently lead to injuries that cause lasting damage and generate astronomical medical expenses. Common motorcycle accident injuries include:
- Road rash
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Nerve damage
- Severe burns
- Loss of limb
- Internal organ failure
- Bone fractures
- Head injuries
- Neck and back injuries
Were You Harmed by a Careless Driver?
At Butler Prather LLP, our Columbus injury lawyers have won landmark cases that hold wrongdoers accountable for the injuries they cause. We will always treat you and your family with respect and compassion. We appreciate the importance of your case, and that’s why we’re always available for our clients.
Call (706) 322-1990 to learn more today.